Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rachel Zoe: Legit Designer or Stylist Extraordinaire? SS12

I'll admit it. Something about Rachel Zoe has always bothered me. It was probably the rumours a few years ago that she was telling already skinny clients to stop eating and get thinner. These stories seemed justified by the fact that Zoe herself is so thin.

All of that aside, however, I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and check out her first Fashion Week offerings. I have no problem admitting that Zoe's designs, while not exactly groundbreaking, are not bad at all. The looks are chic, fun, and suited for daytime, weekend, resort and nighttime. The thing that struck me was that all of the models seemed to be wearing Zoe's own signature wavy hairstyle, and all seemed to be wearing clothes that she, herself, would wear. Indeed, when it was announced Zoe would be designing a line and turning her name into a lifestyle brand, she herself would be wearing the clothes. 

I couldn't help but wonder--is this something all designers do, but we don't notice as much because not all designers are stylists-turned celebrities-turned designers? Or is Zoe simply a consummate stylist who has designed a line of clothes that she would pick for herself and for others? The odd thing about this line was that there didn't seem to be a central piece of inspiration or theme that linked it together as a cohesive collection. Instead, it presented 30 outfits containing trends that have been around for some time that were not necessarily bound to each other. 

I even took the five minutes to put together a fun little diagram to express what I mean re: Zoe's models being her clones:


Also, a quick screen shot to demonstrate how her line is just a little disjointed somehow, and really seems to be a mish-mash of fairly on trend outfits rather than an actual collection. View the whole slideshow HERE.  Maybe I'm out of line with this. I'm pretty sure it's what Victoria Bekham did with her first few collections (Posh Spice Clones)--does it matter where designers draw their inspiration? I'll let you be the judge. 



Posted by: Carla


No comments:

Post a Comment